Ahead of the UK general election, the Fair Begins Here campaign is calling for a fair new plan for refugees which:
- will protect people fleeing war and persecution by upholding the UK’s commitment under international law to the right to claim asylum and by scrapping the Rwanda scheme.
- will provide a proper strategy for welcoming refugees by ensuring fair, rapid decisions on their application for asylum, and the chance to rebuild their lives through settling in a community, being allowed to work and to learn English.
- will forge a stronger global cooperation to tackle the root causes that force people to flee their homes and provides positive solutions when they do, including through safe routes to refugee protection.
Over the next two years, with more than 600 members of Together With Refugees – from large national organisations to small grassroots projects – the coalition will be taking the campaign to communities across the UK and bringing together the people of Britain to show their support.
We’re asking all political parties to commit to this fair new plan for refugees as – regardless of nationality, ethnicity, or background, we believe that every individual deserves dignity, safety, and opportunity. The Fair Begins Here campaign embodies this ethos by championing four key pillars:
- Protection: Ensuring that refugees and asylum seekers are provided with adequate legal protection, access to essential services, and opportunities to rebuild their lives free from persecution and discrimination.
- Integration: Promoting policies and initiatives that facilitate the integration of refugees into their host communities, fostering social cohesion and mutual understanding.
- Empowerment: Empowering refugees and asylum seekers to participate fully in society, harnessing their skills, talents, and experiences to contribute positively to their communities and beyond.
- Solidarity: Encouraging individuals, organisations, and governments to stand in solidarity with refugees, recognising their resilience, courage, and inherent humanity.
About Fair Begins Here in Scotland
The Fair Begins Here campaign seeks to engage people from all walks of life in conversations about empathy, justice, and shared responsibility. But the campaign goes beyond mere awareness-raising; it calls for tangible action and policy change.
JustRight Scotland and JustCitizens are joining the Scottish Refugee Council in this joint national campaign. By amplifying the voices of refugees and mobilising grassroots support, we are advocating for more compassionate and rights-based approaches to asylum and migration. We think that Fair Begins Here is not just a slogan; it reminds us that our humanity is defined not by our borders or differences but by our capacity for empathy and solidarity.
By coming together, we can create a future where fairness and dignity are not just ideals but lived realities for all.
How YOU can join this campaign: launch Fair Begins Here in your community on Valentine’s Day
Together, we can build a world where everyone has the opportunity to thrive, regardless of their circumstances. Because when we stand together, fair truly begins.
- Read our case study here: Amari
- Show your support on social media by sharing orange heart pictures, selfies and messages of solidarity with the hashtag #FairBeginsHere
- Create an orange heart display in your local community and invite people to write messages of welcome and support
- Let us know about your #FairBeginsHere plans – we’d love to help spread the word!